‘He’s straight up conning them’: Trump’s ‘Recount’ Fund has little to do with counting votes

A photograph of Donald Trump with money shown falling down around him.

Screenshot / YouTube

Do you think that the left “stole” the election from Donald Trump? If you support a recount, then you can donate to the Election Recount Fund. As long as you have at least $8,000 that is — otherwise, your money could be paying for Pence’s hotel room.

Twitter sure hates grifters.

‘The fleecing of the MAGA cult continues’

Screenshot / YouTube

Last Saturday, Joe Biden was announced by most mainstream media outlets as the winner of the U.S. election when he secured the required electoral college votes. The latest count is 290-217, to Biden.

Trump’s reaction was predictable: angry, bitter, and fueled by tweets. The President has since launched a complicated legal battle to contest the election results, with lawsuits in key battleground states. He also tried to sue CNN for libel, but this suit has already been dismissed by a federal judge.

As anyone who has had to “lawyer up” will know, litigation is messy, time-consuming, and cripplingly expensive. Even the President of the United States will have an uphill battle paying the soaring legal fees. Hence the Trump Team is rattling the collection bucket around the nation.

The Trump Team is shaking their supporters’ pockets — for all the wrong reasons

Hand holding out to catch money


Scratching beneath the surface of the President’s Official Election Defense Fund reveals shady small print, however. Only donations above $8,000 will make it to the “recount account,” set up to pay for the lawsuits, recounts, and alleged improprieties.

Anything less will be channeled into Trump’s “Save America” political action committee, or the Republican National Committee. Both these groups have great leverage in how they can use their funds. The fine print of the appeal site shows that 60 percent of the donation money will go to “Save America,” and the other 40 percent to the RNC. The recount fund in question requires a legal limit of $5,000.

In other words, the Trump campaign will allow their wealthiest supporters to fund the recount. Anything under $5,000 could go to paying for business class plane tickets, luxury hotel rooms, or bringing family members to campaign events. There is even speculation that donors’ “recount” money could go towards paying off Trump’s campaign debt.

Grifters gonna grift

Donald Trump and his three oldest children at an event

Screenshot / YouTube

Last year, Trump was fined $2 million for illegally using charity donations to boost his 2016 presidential election campaign. The President has been accused of helping himself to public government funds to fuel his own political agenda, and Trump’s business deals are mired in scandal, corruption, and red flags for money laundering.

That the Official Election “Recount” Fund, should have so little to do with funding the recount, may come as no surprise, but donors should be made aware of the fine print.

Micheal DuHaime is a former political director at the RNC. He believes the President is misleading his supporters.

“It’s important to be upfront with people — especially those who are digging deep into their pockets to come up with $25. If you tell them it’s going for legal fees, well then it should go for legal fees.”

Trump taking his base to the cleaners one more time on the way out

Person holding a Trump flag riding through Portland

Screenshot / YouTube

While most Republicans stay disconcertingly silent over the election outcome continue, Trump’s flurry of lawsuits continues. The newly created Official Election Defence Fund and Election Defence Task Force could provide the sorely needed cash to pay off Trump’s campaign debt. The Trump campaign spent around $1.6 billion for him to not win the election. The President himself is also rumored to be in personal debt of $1 billion.

Unlike campaign funds, political action committees (like “Save America”) have much less control. Funds could be used to fund luxury events or pay for family members. The Campaign Legal Center and Issue One warned in 2018 that some leadership PACs have been used to “subsidize lavish lifestyles” of politicians “on their donors’ dimes.”

As one Tweet suggested, is Trump ‘taking his base to the cleaners one more time on the way out?’

Still thinking of donating to the recount fund? Watch this first:

You May Also Like:

Back To Front Page